This Strawberry Apricot Crisp is an easy and delicious summer treat. Low in sugar and big on flavor, parents and kids alike will love it!
Earlier this week, the apricots on our tree suddenly turned that pretty light orange color and began dropping like crazy. It’s funny how summer fruit seems to ripen all of sudden. So, we’ve been harvesting like crazy and this Strawberry Apricot Crisp was a perfect way to use up some of our ripe apricots. It’s lightly sweet, very flavorful and really easy to make. Over the years, it’s become a summertime favorite for my family.
Ingredients for Strawberry Apricot Crisp
- Filling – All you need are apricots, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla extract.
- Topping – The crisp topping is made of butter, rolled oats, flour, cinnamon, and coconut sugar.
How to make the filling for Strawberry apricot Crisp
- Prepare fruit – First, you’ll need to cut 3 cups of fresh apricots into bite-size slices or small chunks. Next, cut 1 cup of fresh strawberries into quarters. Place the prepared fruit into a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar – Now, sprinkle 1/2 cup of granulated white sugar and two teaspoons of cornstarch over the fruit. Last, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the fruit bowl. Gently stir everything together to combine. The apricots are very soft, so be sure to not over-stir it or the fruit may get mushy and lose their shape.
How to make the topping for Strawberry apricot Crisp
- Melt butter – In a medium sized mixing bowl, melt 1/2 cup of salted sweet cream butter.
- Add oats – Once the butter is melted, add 1 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats, 1/2 cup of white flour, 1/2 cup of coconut sugar, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. With a fork, mix until well combined.
How to assemble the the Strawberry apricot Crisp
- Prepare pan – Grease an 8-in cast iron skillet (or an 8-inch round pie dish) with cooking spray (I used coconut oil cooking spray).
- Add filling – Pour the prepared filling out of the mixing bowl and into the pan. Then spread out evenly on the bottom of the pan.
- Add topping – With your fingers, sprinkle chunks of the oat topping evenly over the filling. Then gently press the topping onto the filling to ensure it’s evenly distributed.
- Bake – Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- Serve – Allow the Strawberry Apricot Crisp to cool for about 30 minutes and then serve with a dollop of whipped cream or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
What we love about Strawberry apricot Crisp
- Apricots – Apricots are sweet and delicious, but they are also very nutritious and low in calories. They are high in fiber, antioxidants, and Vitamins A, C, and D. Learn more about the many health benefits of apricots here.
- Strawberries – Strawberries, especially juicy ripe ones you get in the summer, are super sweet and delicious, but they are also really good for you. They are low in carbs, but high in fiber, Vitamin C, folate, and potassium. Strawberries have so many health benefits! Check it out here.
- Easy to prepare the fruit – Unlike peaches or nectarines or plums, apricots are a stone fruit that do not require blanching or peeling before using in a baked good. You merely pry the apricot in half with your thumbs, remove the pit, slice it a few times and it’s ready to go! The strawberries are just as easy to prepare. All you need to do is cut off the tops and slice them into quarters. You don’t even need a sharp knife to cut the fruit. In fact, we just used a butterknife! The fruit for this crisp is so easy to prepare, that my four-year-old did most of it by himself!
- Few ingredients – I love quick and easy desserts that require just a few ingredients. It makes it so much easier to whip something up on the spur of the moment if it doesn’t require a lot of complicated ingredients or lengthy preparation.
- Tastes sweet, but low in refined sugar – This is great summer treat, because it’s not heavy or rich. It’s definitely a sweet treat, but it gets most of its sweetness from the fruit, not the little bit of refined sugar we added.
- It’s versatile and keeps well – Maybe you made this crisp specifically for dessert, but why not serve the leftovers the next morning for breakfast?! It can be served warm, at room temperature, or cool. It works great for potlucks, BBQ’s, picnics, and even breakfast or a snack.
- 3 cups fresh apricots, sliced
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheith.
2. Grease an 8-inch castiron skillet or an 8-inch round pie dish with cooking spray and set aside.
3. Cut 3 cups of fresh apricots into bite-size slices or small chunks.
4. Dice 1 cup of fresh strawberries into quarters.
5. Place the prepared fruit into a large mixing bowl.
6. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of granulated white sugar, 2 teaspoons of cornstarch, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract over the fruit. Gently stir everything together to combine. The apricots will be soft, so be sure to not over-stir or the fruit may get mushy and lose its shape.
7. In a different mixing bowl, melt 1/2 cup of salted sweet cream butter.
8. Once the butter is melted, add 1 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats, 1/2 cup of white flour, 1/2 cup of coconut sugar, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to it. With a fork, mix until well combined.
9. Pour the prepared filling out of the mixing bowl and into the greased pan. Spread the filling out evenly on the bottom of the pan.
10. With your fingers, sprinkle chunks of the oat topping evenly over the filling. Then gently press the topping down onto the filling to ensure it's evenly distributed.
11. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
12. Allow the crisp to cool for about 30 minutes and then serve with a dollop of whipped cream on top or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Cover leftovers with plastic wrap or transfer to a storage container. Store in the refridgerator for up to 3 or 4 days.
Can be enjoyed warm, at room temperature, or cold.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 303Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 31mgSodium 93mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 3gSugar 31gProtein 3g
Nutrition information will differ depending on the brand of products used.