These Zucchini Pizza Bites are packed with tons of zucchini with parmesan cheese and eggs for protein! They’re perfect for lunch, dinner or a healthy afternoon snack! Freezer friendly too!
It’s back to school season and although my kids aren’t in school yet, I still appreciate quick, easy and healthy snack recipes! These Zucchini Pizza Bites are great because they can be enjoyed in a packed lunch, as an easy dinner or a healthy after school snack!
Zucchini was never a favorite vegetable of mine growing up, it has a lot of water in it and is rather tasteless when uncooked. But, in the past few years I’ve discovered that it’s actually really delicious when sautéed until almost caramelized with a little salt. Traditional Zucchini Pizza Bites consist of a big slice of zucchini with tomato sauce and cheese on it, but my version is way more kid friendly!
How To Make this Zucchini Pizza Bites Recipe
These Zucchini Pizza Bites only have a few ingredients and they’re so easy to make.
- You start by grating your zucchini and then squeezing the water out of it. Squeezing the water out is a really important step because zucchini has lots of water in it. If you don’t squeeze it out then your pizza bites will be really soggy and not hold together well.
- After you sauté the zucchini until cooked through, you add it to a large bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix until combined. The eggs help bind everything together so unfortunately I don’t think this recipe can be made without them.
- Then, you scoop the mixture into little balls and bake until cooked through. They’re small so they don’t take long at all to cook and can be served warm or cold. To get the whole pizza experience you dip them in some warm marinara sauce and they’re delicous!
This pizza bite recipe is also pretty versatile. You can add in other pizza topping ingredients that you like and you can use mozzarella cheese instead of parmesan if you like. You just want the uncooked consistency to be able to hold together, so if you add a lot of other ingredients you might want to add an additional egg.
Why Kids Will Love These Zucchini Pizza Bites
- They taste like pizza! The parmesan cheese and bread crumbs give them a really great pizza flavor and then you dip them in the marinara sauce for the whole pizza experience 🙂
- They’re easy to eat. They hold together really well, they’re not messy and can be enjoyed in just a few bites.
- Even though there is only a few ingredients they have tons of flavor, but at the same time are mild enough for picky eaters.
Why Parents Will Love Them
- Zucchini has a very subtle taste so although they’re packed with 4 cups of zucchini, your kids probably won’t even be able to tell you’re feeding them vegetables!
- Aside from the zucchini, they’re also packed with cheese and eggs which adds lots of protein so these pizza bites will keep your kids feeling full for longer.
- They’re great for meal prep! You can make a batch at the beginning of the week and pack them in your kid’s lunches or re-heat them in the oven for an afternoon snack.
- They’re freezer friendly. Leave off the cheese on the top when baking them and then you can freeze them in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- 4 cups grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, heaping
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large sheetpan with a non-stick liner or parchment paper. Grate zucchini on the large side of a box grater and then place grated zucchini in a clean dish towel. Squeeze out as much water as you can.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add oil, zucchini and a pinch of salt. Cook zucchini until soft, 7-10 minutes. Add zucchini to a large bowl and let cool for a few minutes.
- Next, add in 1 cup parmesan cheese, eggs, bread crumbs, and seasonings. Mix until combined and then use a one tablespoon scoop to scoop the mixture into balls on the baking sheet. Use your fingers to press the mxiture down into a small disk and top with more parmesan cheese.
- Bake zucchini pizza bites until cheese is melted and they are cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Enjoy warm or cold with a side of marinara sauce.
Pizza bites can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 4-5 days and frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Nutrition InformationYield 18 Serving Size 3
Amount Per Serving Calories 187Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 80mgSodium 654mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 11g
Nutrition information will differ depending on the brand of products used.