This Teriyaki Stir Fry with Broccoli and Chickpeas is so easy to make and you might be surprised at how much your child will love it!
Does your child like broccoli? I feel like broccoli is the quintessential vegetable that you think of when you think of something kids don’t like. But, thankfully I have found quite the opposite! I asked my three year old what kind of recipe I should make for the blog and he said, “Something with broccoli and chickpeas.” so I came up with this Teriyaki Stir Fry and he at so much! He even asked for more broccoli 🙂
I make teriyaki stir frys a lot because they’re so easy to make and great for when you have a bunch of vegetables that need to be used up. I always have the ingredients on hand for my go-to stir fry sauce and the kids love it.
What You’ll Need For This Teriyaki Stir Fry Recipe
- Broccoli – You can use fresh or frozen. I usually have fresh broccoli on hand but if you don’t, frozen is great too.
- Chickpeas – I just used one can of pre-cooked chickpeas. You could also use another bean you like, tofu or tempeh. I like to use canned beans because they help make this recipe super quick to make.
- Teriyaki Sauce – To make this recipe even easier you could always use a good quality store-bought teriyaki sauce but it’s also so easy to make at home!
Why Kids Will Love This Teriyaki Stir Fry
I obviously can’t say 100% that your children will like this meal, but if you’re trying to get them to eat more veggies, this stir fry is a good way to do that!
- The broccoli is cooked until it’s soft so it’s easy for little teeth to eat, unlike raw broccoli.
- The teriyaki sauce is sweet and flavorful, which I’m pretty sure is my son’s favorite thing about it 🙂
- I serve it over rice, which is usually a favorite of all kids! You could also serve it over cauliflower rice, my son can’t even tell the difference.
- My son loves chickpeas so he gets excited about eating anything with chickpeas in it!
This Teriyaki Stir Fry with Broccoli and Chickpeas is so versatile. You can add in any veggies you have that your children enjoy. If you child doesn’t like chickpeas, you could easily substitute tofu or chicken. I also love to use this recipe as a meal prep lunch for my husband and I. I hope you and your family enjoys this!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- White rice or cauliflower rice for serving with, optional
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup tamari, I like to use low sodium
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil, broccoli and salt. Cook for a minute and then pour in water, cover and let steam until water has cooked off and broccoli is tender, about 7 minutes.
- Make the teriyaki sauce while the broccoli is cooking. Add all sauce ingredients to a jar and mix until combined.
- Add the chickpeas in with the broccoli and pour the sauce over. Cook until sauce has thickened, 5-7 minutes. Serve stir fry over rice and enjoy.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1/6
Amount Per Serving Calories 313Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1246mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 9gSugar 13gProtein 11g