These Perfect Baked French Fries are sure to be a hit with your entire family! They’re great as a side dish or a snack! Instead of being deep-fried, they’re baked to perfection in the oven with just a little bit of oil.
I don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t like French fries! A few years ago I started making my own and I rarely go back to buying the frozen ones. These Perfect Baked French Fries are a favorite around here and I make them at least once a week.
INGREDIENTS for Baked French Fry Recipe:
- Potatoes – This is obviously the most important ingredient 🙂 . I’m happy to say that you can use any potato you like for your homemade French fries. You can even use sweet potatoes! My favorite kind of potato to use is Yukon gold potatoes. They make your baked French fries crispy on the outside and so nice and fluffy on the inside. I also use regular russet potatoes if I have those on hand.
- Oil – You can use any kind of oil you like. A few of my favorites are olive oil, avocado oil and coconut oil. If you use coconut oil you will want to use the refined coconut oil so that it doesn’t give your French fries a coconut taste. I haven’t tried making them without oil before, but you could probably cut down the oil if you wish.
- Seasonings – Seasonings are totally optional but I would recommend at least using salt. In this recipe I just used salt but sometimes I like to mix it up and use salt, paprika, garlic powder and pepper. It makes for a nice seasoned French fry.
How To Make Homemade Baked French Fries
- I’ve found that one of the most important parts of the process is either using parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat. I used to just place the sliced potatoes onto the baking sheet and they would always get stuck when I tried to flip them. Using a mat ensures that they’ll be easy to flip and your fries won’t fall apart on you.
- Next, it’s important that you cut your potatoes all at the same thickness and you want them pretty thin. They need to take the same amount of time to bake and if they’re thick they won’t get crispy.
- You want to make sure they are all coated in oil and seasoning and it’s important that you don’t crowd your baking sheet. If you have a bunch on top of each other they will just steam and won’t get crispy.
- I like to let the French fries bake until they’re crispy and easy to flip and then bake for another 10-15 minutes in order to make sure the entire fry gets crispy.
You can use any dipping sauce you like for these Baked French Fries! I’ve recently started using the True Made Foods – no sugar added ketchup and we love it!
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with a non-stick mat or parchment paper.
- Wash your potatoes and cut them into french frys that are about 1/4 inch thick. You want them all to be similar size. Place potatoes on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Toss to make sure all potatoes are coated with oil.
- Bake french fries until starting to crisp up, about 25 minutes, flip once and bake for another 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.