This Green Smoothie Recipe is packed with banana, pineapple and mango and tastes just like a tropical fruit smoothie! Your kids will love it and never know there’s also spinach in there!
January seems to be the month for smoothies and I’m guessing it’s because people are making a conscious effort to eat healthier this time of year. While kids should never have the resolution to diet, it’s always a good idea to make sure your children are getting enough fruits and vegetables in their diet. Green Smoothies are the perfect way to ensure that and the added bonus is that kids will love this green smoothie recipe as much as you do!
My 11 month old will devour pretty much anything you put in front of him, but my 3 year old is a different story. One day he loves something and the next day it’s “yuk”. I feel like I’m always trying to get him to eat more vegetables and although he loves broccoli, there’s not much else he will try. But, I started making this Green Smoothie Recipe for him a while ago and he loves it!
What You’ll Need For This Kid Friendly Green Smoothie Recipe
- Almond Milk – I like to use original unsweetened almond milk. You could also use regular milk or any other plant based milk that you prefer or even water if you don’t have anything else on hand.
- Banana – My son and I both love bananas so I always use them in our smoothies but I know some people out there don’t love them quite as much. If you don’t like bananas, I’d suggest adding in about 1/2 cup of plain yogurt to help thicken the green smoothie.
- Mango – I like to keep a bag of frozen mango in the freezer to use in my smoothies. Mangoes can be expensive and not always in season so it’s nice to have them ready to go in the freezer. I also like to use frozen mangoes because they help give the smoothie a milkshake like texture.
- Pineapple – Again, I like to have a bag of frozen pineapple in the freezer because it helps thicken the smoothie and it’s easier then cutting up an entire pineapple every few days.
- Spinach – I like to use baby spinach leaves because they’re mild in flavor but still have tons of nutrients. I do also use kale in my smoothies but it can have more of a bitter taste so when making a green smoothie for my son I use spinach.
- Shelled Hemp Hearts – This ingredient is optional but does add some essential fatty acids. You could also use chia seeds if you like.
How To Make A Green Smoothie
Smoothies are SO easy to make! All you do is add all your ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. I love my Vitamix blender because it’s really powerful and makes my smoothies super smooth without any chunks. If you don’t have a food processor you could probably get away with making your smoothie in the food processor but there may be chunks.
Tips To Get Your Kids To Drink Smoothies
I have kids so I know as well as you do that kids refuse to eat/drink foods that you know they would love if they would just try. So, here’s a few tips on how to get your child to drink these Kid Friendly Green Smoothies:
- Let your child help you make the smoothie. It’s not always true, but I’ve found that if I let my son help me make something he is much more likely to try it and like it.
- Use frozen fruit in the smoothie so that it has the texture of a milkshake.
- Refer to the green smoothie as the “Hulk Smoothie” or “Green Monster Smoothie”.
- Let your child pick their favorite fruit to add to the smoothie.
Smoothies are great for breakfast, snacks or even dessert. We love this Green Smoothie Recipe but if you’re looking for more smoothie ideas, I have a 6 delicious and healthy flavors in this post. I also list a ton of healthy add in ideas!
- 1 medium sized banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple, I like to use frozen
- 1/2 cup diced mango, I like to use frozen
- 1/2 cup packed baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup peeled, diced cucumber
- 2 teaspoons shelled hemp hearts
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, 30 seconds - 1 minute. Pour into a cug and enjoy.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 403Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 0mgSodium 69mgCarbohydrates 58gFiber 10gSugar 35gProtein 15g
Nutrition information will differ depending on the brand of products used.