These Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole Bites are a kid friendly take on the traditional broccoli rice casserole. They’re hand held and so easy for kids to eat!
We’re all going through some crazy and uncertain times in the world right now and I feel like the least I can do is provide you all with easy recipes that can be made with pantry/freezer ingredients. These Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole Bites are made with just a few ingredients that you may have in your pantry or freezer right now!
These Broccoli Rice Casserole Bites are great because you can make a huge batch and freeze some for later. My kids and husband eat them up pretty quickly so they’re nice to have on hand.
What You’ll Need To Make These Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole Bites
- Rice – I used white basmati rice because that is what I usually have on hand but you can use any kind of rice you like, quinoa would also work too.
- Broccoli – I bought a big bag of frozen broccoli and have just been thawing small portions at a time. Frozen or fresh works great.
- Cheese – I also bought a few big bags of shredded cheese that I’ve been keeping in the freezer during this time. Sharp cheddar cheese works great in this recipe but you can use anything else you have on hand.
- Breadcrumbs – I happened to have some Panko leftover from this Cauliflower Parmesan recipe I made a few weeks ago. But, if you don’t have bread crumbs you could smash up some crackers or even make your own breadcrumbs with fresh bread.
- Eggs – I just used one egg in this recipe to help hold them together but if you don’t have eggs I think it would work just fine without them!
Why These Broccoli Rice Casserole Bites Are Great For Kids
- They’re much less messy than eating a bowl of rice! My kids love rice but they get it everywhere! These casserole bites are small and compact and the kids can easily take bites of them.
- They’re packed with protein – They have protein from the egg, cheese and broccoli. This makes them really filling and healthy! The cheese also adds calcium which is so important for growing kids.
- They’re packed with broccoli – Thankfully my kids love broccoli and I don’t have to hide it in things for them to eat it, but these bites are a great way to pack broccoli in for your kids.
- They’re a complete meal – They have carbs, protein, dairy and vegetables in them which makes them great for lunch, dinner or snacks!
We hope you all are staying healthy out there. These times are crazy but we’re here to help by bringing you all easy pantry friendly recipes and fun activities to do while you’re home with your kids! Please let us know if you have any requests!
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped cooked broccoli, I used frozen
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick mat. Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Add half the mixture to a food processor and blend until combined. Add back to the bowl and mix everything together.
- Use a tablespoon scoop to scoop the mixture onto the baking sheet and then use your fingers to pat the top down. Top each one with a small spinke of cheese.
- Bake bites until cheese is melted and bottoms are golden brown. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before eating.
We enjoy them with ketchup but you could use any sauce you like
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 5
Amount Per Serving Calories 287Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 68mgSodium 514mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 14g
Nutrition information will differ depending on the brand of products used.